Weekends have been equally active. Two weekends ago Julia and I spent three nights in New York City. We flew from Toronto Thursday afternoon after I had finished with Get Connected week, and that evening we went to see Spamalot on Broadway. I found it hilarious, and luckily Julia did too. I wasn't sure she would like it because not everyone "gets" Monty Python humour. I think the best part about this musical was that it parodied Broadway musicals, with ingenious musical numbers like The Song That Goes Like This and You Won't Succeed On Broadway.
Other highlights included visiting Wall Street, Times Square, Central Park, 5th Avenue, the Empire State Building, Carnegie Deli, Liberty Island, Soho, and the Museum of Modern Art. We got around mainly by subway and walking, although we had to take the occasional taxi. My overall impression of New York City: it is massive and there is constant activity. It truly lived up to my expectations. Both Julia and I can't wait to go back, although next time our trip will be quite different. We did tourist stuff mainly this time, so next time we hope to experience more culture, restaurants, and night life.

Outside the New York Stock Exchange on Wall St.

On Liberty Island in front of some obscure land mark.

Julia in Times Square

Andy Warhol, Campbell's Soup Cans, 1962
Last weekend my parents visited Julia and me in London after returning from a two week vacation in Cuba. We met them in Stratford and watched Cabaret at the Avon Theatre. It was a fantastic performance that I think my MBA class would have preferred over The Music Man. Cabaret was quite edgy with much sexuality, and I wondered what the audience thought given that they were quite... aged. Bruce Dow starred as the Emcee and was incredible. Mom tells me that this is my brother's dream role, so who knows, maybe I will see Nick perform in Stratford one day.

Julia and I with Mom and Dad in Stratford, Ontario
We also took a day trip to the Niagara wine region. We visited four or five different wineries including Royal DeMaria, which is famed for its ice wines. When we first arrived we were greeted by the winemaker's wife who gave us a tour of all of the awards that they had won. I had never heard of Royal DeMaria before but apparently they are world renowned. They have won the most prestigious wine awards for some of their ice wines. Perhaps this is why they feel they can charge $250,000 per bottle for one of their vintages (no, that's not a typo). Fortunately they also sold some more resonably priced ice wines, so we bought a small bottle and shared it with dessert that evening.
There are about two weeks of classes before exams, and then I will be flying back to Vancouver for the Labour Day long weekend. I am looking forward to seeing my friend Jamie's new baby girl Zoe, who was born August 5th. I can't believe my best friend is now a dad!!
No comments:
Post a Comment