Thursday, July 10, 2008

Strategizing about my career and Accounting for my Financial future

My badly phrased title for this post encompasses the three courses I am currently taking in Module 2a: Accounting and Control for Managers (ACM), Managing Financial Resources (MFR), and Developing and Executing Strategy (DES). I just finished the second of two midterms yesterday. What a relief! I was really tense and anxious during the days leading up to these exams. I'm not sure why I was so worried. Perhaps it had something to do with receiving some of our grades for Module 1 recently and realizing that there are lot of really smart people in my class whose grades are scaled with mine. Fortunately I do not plan to pursue the type of job where recruiters are really concerned with grades, so I shouldn't really be putting any pressure on myself. In any event, I got through the midterms alive.

Recently I have been involved in the Entrepreneurship Club and have been wracking my brain for cool business ideas. Most of my ideas seem to revolve around travel because it is something in which I have a lot of experience. There is an optional program during the MBA curriculum called the Ivey New Venture Project which lets you form teams and develop new business ideas. I have heard a lot of great things about it from students in the September cohort. I really wish I had knew that I would be becoming involved in this before coming to Ivey so I could have started thinking of ideas sooner. There is already a lot I have to think about right now, and I'm finding that I am being distracted from my work by thinking of business ideas instead. One idea that came to mind tonight was for a website that would connect carpoolers. Essentially someone with a car could post their route and the website could match passengers who who pay. The driver could make a small profit to compensate for the inconvenience. Unfortunately my excitement quickly faded when I discovered this idea had already been implemented.

On top of all this, there is growing excitement about the upcoming Get Connected week in Toronto. It is supposed to be our "coming out" event where we become available to the job market. There will be a number of seminars and workshops to attend as well as corporate information sessions. The week will certainly be of greater use to those planning to pursue jobs in industries that follow traditional recruiting cycles. Such industries would be financial services, investment banking, management consulting, and consumer packaged goods. There are a couple of corporate info sessions I'd like to attend, however I have yet to arrange any one on one meetings with alumni partners. Hopefully I can get time this weekend to arrange something. I'm sure looking forward to sleeping in Saturday!

No comments: